Miscellany Monday


Anyone have any extra hours in their day that they'd be willing to give to me?  Lately it seems as if I've got more to do than I have time.  I'm blaming it on the garage sale I'm having this week.

So here goes -- my Miscellany Monday.  (Written late on Sunday night.)

1)  2 Teaspoons does not equal 2 Tablespoons.

2)  4 inches of rain in one night creates a pond in our backyard.  While this may not be good for the raspberries I just planted (35 plants) it was excellent entertainment for my two boys ages 4 and 6.  That entertainment turned into entertainment for me -- their romp through the puddles created an extra load of laundry.  
3) 2 Tablespoons of baking soda in a cake that requires 2 teaspoons creates quite the, how should you say it, unique flavor.
4) There are no birthdays in my home for the next two months.  This is extraordinary as we have 9 birthdays that we celebrate in our home.  The birthdays in our home are in - January, February, March, April, June, August, September (2x), and November.

5) Prior to Samuel, everyone in our family had their own birthday month.

6) Samuel was due October 3.  He was born September 25.  If he had been born in October, then everyone would have had their own birthday month.  I was fine that he was born in September -- I was tired of being pregnant at that point.  I just wanted to hold that sweet baby. 

7) Still wondering about the tablespoon and teaspoon fiasco?

8) Speaking of birthdays, all my daughters were born in the first half of the year and my sons in the second half. And again, prior to Samuel, all the girls were born after 12 noon and all the boys before 12 noon.  Samuel decided to be born at 3:12 pm.  Again -- I was okay with that arrival time.  I really, at that point, just wanted to hold that sweet boy.


9) The cake that I ruined?  Hannah's birthday cake.  Though her piece was edible with a pile of whipped cream. Lots of whipped cream.



10) Appearances can be deceiving.  Look how beautiful that cake looks.  You'd never know that the homemade chocolate cake (made with vinegar and no eggs) had all that baking soda.  Hmmm....there could be a life lesson in that.  Or at least a post. And knowing me, I'll be writing about it later this week. :)

Have a blessed Monday!  And don't forget to link up to Carissa's Miscellany Monday.  I'm praying she's getting some good rest and enjoying her sweet Sage. 


Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

27 comments:

Heather said...

Haha...wow. It's terrible when you mess up a recipe like that! It makes me so mad at myself! :-) For me, my big epiphany in cooking was "Eagle Brand Milk" does not equal "Sweetened Condensed Milk". Yup. Something about sweet macaroni was just not right.

It's crazy that all your children are so spread out...did you try to plan it so they would all have their own months? If you did, you're like a fertility samurai!

Anonymous said...

I love it, our family birthday's go October, November, December, January, February, April and mine in August !!! We have a busy fall and winter when it comes to birthdays and Thanksgiving and Christmas !!! But I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Kelly said...

HA! I've done something very similar baking soda...although mine was 4 tablespoons instead of 4 teaspoons!

Our family birthdays are July, August, September and October! And, that's the first time I've ever thought about how they fall in a row. Neat!

Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I think solo grocery shopping is my new way to go!

Sarah Ann said...

Aw! I've messed up Baking Soda measurements in cookies and they were as flat as... well, more flat than cookies should be :)

Anonymous said...

visiting from misc monday . . . love the pictures of you and samuel and meeting his brother; sounds like you are a busy, but happy, mom ;)

the cake looks great, but i'm curious for more of the story - made with vinegar and no eggs??? i hope you post more about it and the baking soda fiasco :)

Mandy said...

I have totally done that measurement thing... or baking powder swapped with soda, which has equal nasty effects!

You have such a sweet family~ love seeing those newborn baby moments! I would have a dozen if God wanted me to! Happy Monday!

the Poston's said...

9 birthdays!! OH my goodness, that is awesome. I just have one baby, so i'm positive I could learn A TON from you!

Hilarious about the birthday cake, because i seriously thought it looked good with all of the whipped cream..

Although I am wondering what kind of flavor baking soda brings...

btw, i LOVE your boys' names:)

have a great day!
angie

Dorcas said...

Funny! About the baking soda. Atleast it wasn't like my girlfriend that used cumin instead of cinnamon for some cookies.* hee*

I am sure Hannah was thrilled with you doing her cake! Your family is so sweet!

Many blessings

Dorcas

carissa said...

okay, this is my favorite miscellany!!! i haven't read any others yet, but i already give you the prize for the best! shh, it's our secret. : ) the cake does look beautiful... i mix up measurements all too often... my poor husband is always so gracious about the taste of things that i make! the picture of elijah meeting samuel is so precious! i really think it's quite impressive that almost everyone has their own birthday month - that just means the celebration can last all month long! i've missed you rachel! i cannot go any longer without reading your posts every day! : )

Coby said...

Sorry to laugh at your baking fiasco, but I really am chuckling. I hate to mess up a recipe - I can't stand to waste ingredients!

But whipped cream can fix just about anything, huh?

Maine Mummy said...

Oh I love it - my worst baking error was thinking you could make Brownies without eggs!!! The resulting goo did taste good on ice-cream though!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! I once forgot the eggs in a cake because I got a call in the middle of making it and lost track. It looked and tasted really funny.

Yours still looks like an amazing birthday cake!

Have a wonderful day,
Kate

mle said...

What?! tablespoons don't equal teaspoons?! who knew?

Just when you think you have it all figured out, leave it to the baby to shake things up : )

ps I'd still eat the cake slathered in whipped cream!

Summer said...

What tablespoons added together don't equal tablespoons? Who knew? LOL

I have so did that with cookies and they came out flat as pancakes and tasting not so um delish! LOL

The cake does look pretty and I bet it tasted great with all that whipped cream :0)

xoxo
Summer

BARBIE said...

Your Tablespoon/teaspoon story reminds me as to why I do not bake more. I remember all too well the many times I've ruined cake, cookies, etc. by NOT paying attention to the measurements (and I think I was trying to pay attention, call it a brain freeze). I love how you have birthdays through the entire year. How fun is that. In our household, we have them in March, April, June (2x) and July (2x - me and hubby).

Have a fabulous Monday!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

OH, my dear, if it were possible I would definitely give you some of my time each day. I cannot even imagine keeping up with 7 children! I thought I was busy with two, but guess that would be considered a "piece of cake." :o) Thanks for stopping by, don't know where you find the time, but so glad you do. Abundant blessings to you and your precious family!

Stephanie said...

Haha too funny!! I had a friend once use tartar sauce instead of cream of tartar in her cookies... needless to say that flavor was also "unique"!

Alex Maria said...

Numbers 6 and 8 are so strange {and cool, too}! Well, not the part where you just wanted to hold Samuel, about the birthdays and times :)

Gwen T said...

Our birthday season is in late summer/early fall when we have a birthday every 3 weeks for four months straight. It makes me tired just thinking about it. :)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

YIkes on the cooking incident! I've done goofy things in the kitchen, too, especially when distracted. LOL! :D

Krissy said...

I mess up every cake that I attempt to bake...Ok, I actually mess up everything I attempt to bake. It still looks delicious! :D

I got your link from Monday Miscellany! I'm now following you and hope you can stop by my blog and read my Monday Miscellany too!

http://theartsymom.tk

Cristi said...

I truly enjoyed your post today!! I have messed up the recipe before not a good thing, exspecially when you make it to give to someone, hehehe.

We have 7 in our family, with 3 bithday's in the month of July. With two on the same day and one the day after. Enjoy your 2 months off.
Blessings

Lindsay said...

I loved your post today, Rachel! I had to laugh about the baking soda. The cake does look really yummy though. I love whipped cream! Well, I like Cool Whip better, but whipped cream is good too. ;)

Anyway, I hope you've had a fabulous Monday. Good luck with your garage sale! :)

~ Love,
Lindsay

P.S. - Most of the birthdays in our family are in January and Feburary, including mine. My older sister and my dad are the only ones who don't have winter birthdays!

Sarah said...

Note to self: never ask Rachel about measurements!;)

You mentioned that you live in Minnesota. Do you live near Balaton? That's where the puppet team will be for the VBS. We'll be doing it in a park. It would be really cool to meet you and Hannah if you do live close!;)

-Sarah

partialemptynester said...

Omgosh, I can sooo relate! Hah! Too funny, the cake fiasco! Oh, and who can resist some good puddle-play, seriously!?! I absolutely love a good summer rain, oh but rats about the raspberries!

Anonymous said...

Just so you know...the whole birthday situation gets a LOT more complicated when said children grow up...and get married...that doubles the number of birthdays! And then there are grand kids...not even gonna go there!
Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!
Isaiah 12:1-2 And in that day thou shalt say, O LORD, I will praise thee: though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me. Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.
Prayer Bears
My email address

aubrey said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! Wow, 9 birthdays! You do get to make and eat a lot of cakes. I have done the baking soda/baking powder mix up. Thank goodness for whipped cream!

Related Posts with Thumbnails