open my eyes


I've noticed that I envy all to easily.  I was wandering through Target wishing that my cart was overflowing with stuff, and sad that I couldn't fill it with fun items. I'd look at the frames, or the pillows, or a shirt, or holiday decorations and slowly put them back.  Not today.

And I started to grumble while I walked.

My heart began to reflect discontent.


Then I became convicted to be aware that there are those wandering Target who would love the contents of my cart -- milk, bread, and fruit. Samuel  -- a child, a gift.  So humbling. Extremely humbling.

So I started to move through Target aware of those pushing the red carts around me.  I was no longer interested in the contents of their cart, but rather the individual, the person, the family around the cart.   I discovered there were many others with just milk, bread and fruit.  And that a genuine look in the eye, or a smile, or even a couple kind words changes things.

My heart began to be grateful.

I don't want to live oblivious to those around me.

I want to be a light.  To smile.  To help. To keep my eyes on Jesus -- not the things and stuff and worries of today. To be grateful.  For that bread. The milk or fruit.  The children.

And that posture helped me.  I just needed to be aware of my own heart's quickness in wandering.  About how I was allowing consumerism, or envy, or anxiety,  or discontent, or just my own selfishness to cloud my thinking. Stuff fades.  But kindness lasts.  That's what really, really matters.


O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!

Refrain:
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

13 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh love that hymm! Thanks for sharing those encouraging words today.

Katie Orr said...

"Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace."

"To keep my eyes on Jesus -- not the things and stuff and worries of today. To be grateful."

Oh, how I get caught up in everything I don't have, instead of treasuring what I do. Thanks for the reminder to treasure Christ, and the everyday gifts He gives us.

Cynthia said...

This is a beautiful reflection Rachel, thank you ;^)

Toyin O. said...

God will give the heart and grace to become everything he created you to be.

carissa said...

i so struggle with this... our church is in a very affluent town. but, you are right, even though we don't have everything, we do have a TON to be grateful for! i always think about other counties and then realize that we have way too much! i need to keep my eyes on Jesus and not this world! thanks for this Truthful reminder.

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing.

Trisha said...

Rachel,
Encouraging words! It is so true that when our eyes are fixed on Christ we're able to look to the needs of others instead of focusing on self.

How good the Holy Spirit is to remind us to bring glory to God in all we do.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

What a beautiful post and that hymn just brought a flood of memories over me! Yes, the things of this world can dim our sight, but the God we serve can restore our sight and open our eyes.

I'm with you, "open my eyes that I may see glimpses of truth thou hast for me."

Hugs to you Rachel!

BARBIE said...

This is something I still struggle with, almost on a daily basis. Even though God is teaching me to turn my eyes to what matters most in this season, it's hard. Every day I have to reflect on what I am truly grateful for and reach for the new perspective.

Run DMT said...

What a thoughtful and insightful post! Too often, we allow consumerism, greed and envy to control us. I'm glad Jesus spoke to you. He reminded you of your blessings and to acknowledge your fellow brothers' and sisters' struggles and pray for them.

God bless.

Suz said...

I love that hymn. It makes me cry when I sing it. It fills my heart.

Thank you for your beautiful post today.

it spoke to me.

Kris said...

I think there is rarely one of your posts that doesn't bring tears to my eyes. This one as no exception! Such a beautiful hymn!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Yes and so well said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails